One thing that may be everybody knows is Scotch is the gift to the world from Scotland. The very first idea citing of scotch was in the year 1495, but many also believe the idea of distilling was brought by Irish to Scotland.
Fact: Any whisky that is bottled in Scotland is scotch. In order for a whisky to be called scotch, it has to be bottled in Scotland only.
There are many types of Scotch Whisky:
- Single Malt: It is distilled and bottled in Scotland. One of the most famous and preferred whiskies, made from malted barley & water and aged to perfection.
- Double Malt Scotch: To be true, there ain’t anything as double malt or triple malt, it’s just single malt. But, in fact, it’s the same thing aged in two or three casks. And so the term associated to them is double wood and triple wood, but still it’s single malt only.
- Single Grain: Single grain is also prepared by malted barley and water but unlike Single Malt, it has added cereals and grains. The most blended scotch whisky made from this form; Single Grain.
The science is simple for the blended scotch whiskies. Be it Blended Scotch Whisky, be it Blended Malt Scotch or be it Blended Grain Scotch, all they got to do is blend two or more scotch whiskies in order to get any blended scotch whisky.
- Blended Scotch Whisky: Blended Scotch whisky is a whiskey that is made from the blend of Single Grain Scotch Whisky and Single Malt Scotch Whisky, can be more than one single malts in the blend.
- Blended Malt Scotch: That is a mixture of two or more single malts of different distilleries and curate a single batch of whisky.
- Blended Grain Scotch: Likewise, it is also prepared in similar fashion, just in this case they use single grains instead of single malts.