Explore the Truth
Since the ancient days, wine, and particularly red wine has been looked by as remedy instead of a poison. The link between red wine and its therapeutic benefits kept on growing stronger through various eras. Besides it flavor and its capacity to get people relaxed, wine has gained the reputation of being a ‘healthy alcohol’. However, the exact link between red wine and lesser chances of heart attacks are not yet completely understood, but studies confirm that there are probabilities that anti-oxidants present in red wines increases the levels of high-density lipoproteins cholesterols (HDL – also known as Good Cholesterols), thereby protecting against cholesterol build ups.
It is a researched fact that red wine boosts a range of positive health facts and all because of the presence of resveratrol – a compound produced by certain plants to fight off fungi and bacteria and also protects against UV irradiation. This compound in wines comes from the skin of black grapes, and can boost cardiovascular health, help treat acne and can also protect against cancers among many others.
Red wine has been linked with numerous health benefits, and many of which are attributed to the presence of anti-oxidants also present in it. Here are some of the key benefits of drinking red wine:
- Lesser chances of cancers: little to moderate consumption of red wine has been linked with reduced chances of many cancers like colon, ovary and prostrate.
- Reduces risk of diabetes: women in particular have been studies to have reduced chances of type 2 diabetes with moderate quantities of red wine.
- Having less chances of depression: as per studies conducted it is proved that people in their middle age and elderly, consuming 2 to 7 glasses of red wine in a week is less likely to get depressed than others.
- Reduced insulin resistance: drinking around a couple of glasses of red wine a day have shown to have reduced insulin resistance in people.
- Lowered risk of dementia: similarly drinking red wine regularly protects against Alzheimer’s disease and dementia.
- Boosts heart health: some of the active compounds of red wine like polyphenols, resveratrol and quercetin have cardio protective capabilities. Consuming moderate amounts of red wine has have beneficial effects on many different aspects related cardiovascular disease.
- Helps fight eight gain and obesity: the compound called piceatannol, found in red grapes has the ability to block any immature fat cell’s ability to grow and develop, thereby, controlling weight gain and further obesity.
- Controls and fights damage against free radicals: free radicals are the cause of many health hazards like cancers, rheumatoid arthritis, autoimmune diseases, and cardiovascular disease and neurodegenerative diseases. The anti-oxidants in red wine, enhances the body’s immunity and defends and lowers the risk of developing a number of serious health conditions.
It proves very clear that moderate red wine consumption can reduce risks of several cancers, depression, dementia, heart ailments, and weight gain and even prevent against developing diabetes.
How much of red wine you should drink for health?
Knowing all the above health benefits of drinking red wine, there is nothing to worry unless if you are not exceeding the recommend levels. As per guidelines, moderate drinking of red wine is:
- Not more than 1 to 2 glasses for men.
- Not more than 1 to 1.5 glasses for women.
Always consider that the above recommendations refers to the total alcohol consumption in any form. Drinking it above other alcoholic beverages is exceeding the daily intake limit and is considered as excessive consumption and could have adverse effects if taken regularly.
It is also suggested that if you have history of substance abuse, it is best to avoid any alcohol consumption including that of wine.
Note: For best results and having red wine for the purpose of enjoying it and it’s many health benefits, you should go without any consumption for a day or two in a week.
Some interesting lifestyle benefits of drinking red wine
It’s true that red wine can help your heart beat freely as it does it work, but you may not be knowing that it can do a host of goods for you in many other ways alike:
- Keeps bed bugs away: these bugs’ lives on human blood. Researchers have found that drinking red wine could lead to fewer bug bites as these bugs are not very keen on blood with wine in it.
- Helps in child birth: modern medicine prescribes wines to women to alleviate pain during childbirth as well as fight against lethargy and diarrhea.
- Boosts fertility: drinking a glass of wine a day boosts fertility in women as per studies. Five or more glasses of red wine a month has positive effect on women’s fertility and once again the contributing component in red wine is resveratrol.
- It keeps you mentally alert and agile: people who drink between one to two glasses of wine a day are almost less likely to be showing signs of dementia and improved mental health.
Credits: MS. SHEELA SEHARAWAT
(Dietician and Founder Member – Diet Clinic)